Tuesday, July 9, 2013

pros and cons of social media personally and professionally

I have mixed feelings about social media both in my personal and professional life.  I have used Facebook only upon my son's instance that it would be much easier for him to share his photos if I just got on Facebook. Wow, I had no idea! Now I can "visit" my friends and family when it's convenient for me.  On the downside, I don't care for all my "friends" minute to minute updates on my wall.  I don't need to know about so and so's mother's colonoscopy prep.

Neil Ferree/ CC BY 2.O

Presently, I have little experience using social media professionally. My most common exposure with social media is again through Facebook.  Unfortunately, these instances occur when students are making negative comments to each other which creates drama at school.  We then have to use valuable school time to deal with the situation.  My opinion is really irrelevant.  Social media is only going to become more popular and I expect it will evolve into a resource to be utilized in the classroom on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. Your concerns and reactions to social media, both personally and professionally, are not unusual. The goal, as with so many situations, is to use the good and neutralize the not-so-good.

    ReplyDelete